Notability is an industry-leading note taking application with expressive drawing capabilities that make full use of the power of the Apple Pencil and iPad Pro. This is an open role for someone who can join us in continuing to deliver incredible new features that strike a delicate balance between simplicity and power, ensuring that Notability continues to be the best note-taking experience in the world.
We are looking for an engineer to join our Graphics Technology Group, with experience developing great apps on Apple platforms (iOS, macOS). Our in-house vector graphics renderer uses Apple's Metal framework to deliver cool features and high performance.
- Solve difficult problems that feature soft real-time performance targets
- Build new features that integrate deeply with iOS and macOS
- Design, code, test, debug, modernize and document new and existing systems to ensure that the application meets business, quality and operational needs
- Collaborate within engineering and across the organization effectively to deliver stellar new features, address technical issues and provide guidance
- Provide project leadership to break down, estimate, and organize work
- Participate in code reviews to ensure new code conforms to the highest standards
- Provide guidance on software development best practices
- Identify risk and propose mitigation strategies associated with new and existing systems
- Excellent technical problem solving skills and aptitude to learn new technologies and methodologies
- Read and understand research papers when required for implementing new functionality
- Communicate progress effectively to different stakeholders including product, design, support, QA and management.
- 5+ years of experience.
- Deep understanding of Apple's platforms, graphics and non-graphics frameworks.
- Experience using the GPU to solve problems in 2D graphics
- Experience with resolution-independent graphics primitives and related mathematical concepts
- Strong computer science fundamentals and problem solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to easily collaborate with others
- Demonstrated ability to independently deliver results in a fast-paced and collaborative environment
- Strong leadership, communication skills, and ability to influence without authority
- Ability to write good design documents
- Ability to cultivate consensus and alignment within and across teams
How we Work
Each member of our team contributes to all parts of our products. We trust each other to make decisions independently while also considering our common goals and values. We share ideas openly, and we collaborate across disciplines to ensure that our decisions make sense from all perspectives.
When We Work
We keep work and life balanced. We set our schedules based on our excitement to solve a problem, and we trust each other to get things done. We work from home when it will help, and we have an “as long as you get your work done” vacation policy.
Where We Work
We work in downtown SF near Market Street, just a short walk from two BART/Muni stations. Our open-plan office has height-adjustable desks to help us stay limber, a trio of rooms for small group meetings or individual work, and a shuffleboard table to help us stay coordinated (or to enjoy during happy hour :).
We are open to full-time remote employees who reside in the U.S.
- Competitive compensation in form of base salary, bonuses and profit sharing
- Comprehensive healthcare fully covered for you and your family
- Flexible work and vacation schedules
- 401k with matching contributions
- Matching gifts to non-profits
- Public transit reimbursement
- Home workstation reimbursement
- ISP reimbursement
- Monthly phone bill reimbursement